Every Tuesday, from 09/13/2022 to 10/25/2022, 6:30pm - 9pm
NAMI Family-to-Family Care Group
Leader: Kim Hollon |
Family-to-Family is a FREE seven-week course taught by NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). The class will meet weekly at Stepping Forward on Tuesdays at 6:30 – 9:00 pm from September 13 – October 25. There is an optional free dinner available before the class at 6:00 pm, and free childcare is available during the class.
The Family-to-Family class is an evidenced-based, education program which provides support to family members and friends of individuals who are living with mental illness. Classes are taught by trained family members and graduates of the program. In addition to learning about treatment strategies, and how to more effectively communicate with loved ones, many participants also find the emotional support they receive crucial during their loved ones’ times of illness and stress.
Topics covered include:
- Explanation of major brain disorders
- The latest information about medications (including side effects and strategies for promoting medication adherence)
- Information about the most effective treatments available
- What to do in a crisis
- Handling your loved one’s hospitalization and relapse
- Problem solving and communication skills
- Advocating for your loved ones; how to work with professionals
- Taking care of yourself
In addition to our own congregation, this class is open to the community and we encourage you to promote it to your family, neighbors and friends. Registration is required … Contact to register.